Pynch and homosexuals

Henry Musikar gravity at nicom.com
Mon Jul 28 14:54:02 CDT 1997

Pynch's main characters are white hetero men. He is a white hetero
(not Herero) man. I think an author is damned if trying to "get
behind" a character that is strikingly not them, and damned if they
don't. If Pynchon had a gay, black person as a main character,
wouldn't he be open to a whole lotta criticism if he lampooned that
character, or wouldn't he be considered sanctimonious if he didn't.
"Who does this white, intellectual, patrician, hetero man think he
is? He's got us all wrong. If he thinks that we're all..."

AsB4,
Henry Musikar
(-::-)
Keep cool, but care. -- TRP
Moderation in moderation. -- Husky Mariner
DON'T PANIC! -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
What, me worry? -- A. E. Newman