MDMD(1): Notes

Thomas Ipri T_ipri at fccc.edu
Thu Jun 12 09:20:04 CDT 1997

At 11:18 AM 6/8/97 -0400, you wrote:

>6.19 `the Northern Liberties, Spring Garden and Germantown'.  These are three
>neighborhoods of the city today, respectively located (relative to downtown) a
>short walk northeast, a short walk north, and a long hike northwest.  Off-hand,
>I do not know if NL and SG were part of the city then.  I'm certain G was not.

For clarity's sake, Germantown was established by the Mennonites in 1683.
During the Revolutionary War, American troops were defeated there by General
Howe.  Germantown was also home to the famous Peale family of artists and
horticulturalists.  Charles Wilson Peale having established one of the first
ornamental gardens in America early in the 1800s.  The Philadelphia Art
Museum, along with the U of Penn, LaSalle University (which owns some of the
Peale land), and others are having a big exhibit of the Peale Family in the
fall.

The Spring Garden area existed at least as far back as 1764 when the German
Society of America was established.

A Fellow Philadelphian,

Tom