Hey, some of you, cut it out!--God damn it, please

ckaratnytsky at nypl.org ckaratnytsky at nypl.org
Wed May 14 12:43:05 CDT 1997

     Andrew has done yeoman service on our behalf regarding message
     protocol and the most desirable use of our list.  I am writing to
     concur with his remarks and observations, and to thank him and John
     Krafft, who raised the issue.

     Welcome, new folks, join us, participate, do what you will.  We're a
     congenial bunch (I, for one, have been known to get pretty silly),
     but, please, have mercy with the chatter.  With the publication of the
     new novel, there's been a great deal of public attention focused on
     all things Pynchon, and the list has grown as a result.  Please,
     reflect well on why you're here.  It's the terra incognita of
     Pynchon's work (yes, among many other related and unrelated things)
     that we, group-wise, are interested in exploring, if I may be so bold
     -- not every free-associative thought, indignant retort, or witty
     rejoinder that pops into your head.  Take pity!

     We should all pay attention to this, from Andrew:

     >The more you hold off and think before posting, the more focussed you
     >make your mail notes, the better the example you set other posters,
     >then the longer we can all continue to make good use this list as a
     >resource.

     with visions of Mittelwerk's elegant messages dancing in her head,

     Chris (fawn, fawn)