Pronouncing Ruggles

MASCARO at humnet.ucla.edu MASCARO at humnet.ucla.edu
Thu May 15 18:24:48 CDT 1997

As I learned in Grad Skool it's a status thing (and remember if you say STAT-us you
haven't got STATE-us)--mopes pronounce it PIN-CHIN  (my preferred pronunciation);
upper-class Mayflower types wouldn't be caught dead squeezing that vowel, so to them
it's gotta be Pyn-CHOWN.  Now where do you think NPR wants to locate itself on the
*prestige* dialect continuum?

john m
BTW, since when is NPR *non-commercial*?