McElroy

Andrew Clarke Walser awalse1 at icarus.cc.uic.edu
Wed May 21 21:57:17 CDT 1997

On Wednesday, 21 May 1997, Matt Folsom wrote:

 Who is this Joseph Mcelroy character?  Women and Men is HUGE!  Is he
 in the same kinda vein as Pynchon?

	Joseph McElroy has written seven novels, all of them excellent,
some of them certifiably great.  Before I told someone to read WOMEN AND
MEN, I would recommend one of the more manageable books:  A SMUGGLER'S
BIBLE, HIND'S KIDNAP, ANCIENT HISTORY, PLUS.
	LOOKOUT CARTRIDGE seems his most Pynchonian work, but even that
resembles TRP only superficially.  McElroy knows more about science and
technology than Pynchon, but you can read a thousand pages of his prose
without laughing once . . .
	Most of his books are out of print, but you can order used copies
-- at considerable expense -- from Powell's Online.

				Andrew Walser
			University of Illinois-Chicago