DFW's: The Brothers Incandenza

Unknown User RAYGONNE at pacbell.net
Fri May 30 22:35:16 CDT 1997

Scott Eric Kaufman wrote:

> All of the story lines revolved around addiction-with-a-capital-A
> Addiction, whether it be to tennis, drugs, lenses, or any of the various
> anonymous groups; and (though I don't know how much sense this'll make in
> the morning) the novel itself was a kind of addiction.  It's time
> consuming, meandering, and unresolved, which (though I admit ignorance of
> the true subject) is what I've always been told addictions are.

you are correct, in my opinion, tho i'd add that in addition the novel
is about how society is structured around addiction (implied by your
analysis). personally, i was addicted to reading the novel, which struck
me as cool seeing as how the novel and the 'movie' have the same name.
doesn't seem to have similarly effected others here, tho perhaps many of
them kicked the habit before it really latched on. by the by, the
addiction and addiction-to-addiction theme(s) of ij remind me of naked
lunch, which wsb and others testified (literally) to be concerned with
addiction to control.
ray