MDMD(7) Faces (211.28)

Doug Millison millison at online-journalist.com
Wed Sep 3 19:38:20 CDT 1997

At 1:09 PM 9/3/97, Penny Padgett wrote
>This seems to support observations made by Brian McCrary, among others,
>about the increasing importance of child and family themes in Pynchon's
>post-GR work.
re: Andrew's comment:
>- `He must often remind himself not to search the Boy's Faces too intently
>for Rebekah's [. . .] Withal their Faces are their own, unsortably,-- and
>claim the Moment.' Love the rhythm introduced by that `unsortably,--'.
>(211.28)

Then there's an example of the kind of family resemblance that's unwelcome
on the part of a son or daughter, as in Macclesfield's complaint in Chapter
19 (193.03):

"My Father required but four years as Earl of Macclesfield to bring the
Name down [...] for the People are now all too ready to believe me a Thief
as well."

D O U G  M I L L I S O N ||||||||||||| millison at online-journalist.com