Schmuck Amuck

Sherwood, Harrison hsherwood at btg.com
Thu Sep 4 12:19:32 CDT 1997


Yeah, yeah, I know, I know....

Astonishing, what a couple of weeks spent bobbing in salt water in a
town called Duck will do for the temperament.

Thins the blood and lowers the choler. Add a low diet, daily bleedings
of four ounces, the diurnal application of leeches behind the ears, and
God's own quantity of the tincture of laudanum, 40 drops every eight
hours, and I feel like a new man. Anybody seen one? Under 5'10",
clean-shaven and able to use the correct fork?

I'd like to apologize to all & sundry for my case of the screaming
whim-whams a few weeks ago. In calmer retrospect I realize my reaction
to events was excessive in the extreme, and I extend the hand of amity
and rueful whatnot to all whom I sprayed with my spittle-laden
invective. Deththththpicable!

Thank you to all those nice folks who e'd me in the interim, and...here
I am, Chris! 

Couldn't help noticing the recent groundswell of opinion that holds that
_Mason & Dixon_ blows dead mallard, all of a sudden. Funny, that wasn't
my impression on my second reading in the above-named Anatidaean
surroundings. Perhaps I haven't been sufficiently demanding of my
reading material--the rest of my mental mulch being pretty much
restricted to the first sentence of Princess Di articles and my
childrens' bedtime Moomintroll fix--but M&D is doing the flowering-lotus
routine pretty nicely for me. I expect the same from a third reading,
and a fourth.

This M&D-bashing is like flaming _Abbey Road_ 'cos it isn't _Sgt.
Pepper_, you ask me. Excess curbed. Integration. Subtlety. Control.

Maturity. Harrumph.

Perhaps detractors should take it back to the point of purchase for a
full or partial refund?

So...did we ever pick a moderator?

Harrison "I may be a nasty little black duck, but I'm a *live* little
black duck!" Sherwood

P.S. http://www.eskimo.com/~jmt/duck/ Nuff Sed.



More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list