GRGR (15): Good & Evil (was Enzian...)
Terrance F. Flaherty
Lycidas at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 14 17:27:23 CST 1999
Paul Mackin wrote:
>
> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Terrance F. Flaherty wrote:
> >
> > Haven't read Roth's American Pastoral, but it sounds like it
> > might be read along with Don DeLillo's MAO II? I think
> > Rilke might help this discussion. Anyone interested in
> > talking about Blicero's reading of Rilke?
>
> Been a while but I don't remember American Pastoral having anything
> comparable to the notion in Mao II that terrorist activity had overtaken
> novel-writing as a main ring attention grabber in modern life.
> Roth hates this kind of culture critique. Certainly the revolutionary
> ideology of the 60s (in A.P.) is an important proximate cause in
> destroying the life of the well-meaning Swede. The book is not the least
> bit ideological. The Swede is a golden child, everything going for him,
> until everything starts going against him, most notably loosing his
> ability to protect his daughter. The story is personal and very real. I
> don't think you can say this about Mao II. Sorry. I'm up to my old tricks
> again. I may turn into Johnny one-note.
>
> P.
You wrote:
"In that book Swede's (the hero, usually referred
to as "the Swede") daughter's self destructive behavior
(though based on
some kind of extreme idealism it may be argued) was painful
to Swede in
the worst possible way. It was killing him."
Again, I haven't read the book, but your comments reminded
me of Mao II, I guess only in that Karen's parents are
pained by "extreme idealism" and Moony wedding.
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list