Magnolia (Spoilers)

EgoistX at aol.com EgoistX at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 00:18:43 CST 2000


Richard Romeo writes:

> Subject: Re: Magnolias
>  
>  hate to be a disagreeable, but that director has not made an original 
>  film--boogie nights started off well, but drowned in scorcese/tarrantino 
>  cliches
>  This new flick has altman written all over it, with one of the worst 
endings 
> 
>  for a flick in recent memory.
>  

I disagree entirely.  I saw Magnolia about 2 weeks ago.  I loved Boogie 
Nights and felt that it should have garnered the attention that Titanic did 
that year.  However, I'm sure that the very subject matter made it somewhat 
outre to many involved with awards.  Boogie Nights is just wonderfully 
cinematic.

Magnolia, IMHO, is very Pynchonesque.  It definitely warrants multiple 
viewings as there are a lot of things going on, and this weird vibe that 
there are strange powers controlling things.  


>>Begin Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
..
 Look for references to Exodus 8.2 as well as Masonic references.  Those are 
the 2 wacky things that spring to mind immediately.  I don't want to discuss 
this too much, as it's nice to walk into a film knowing as little as possible.

-Adrian



More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list