VV(13): Enters Weismann

Michel Ryckx michel.ryckx at freebel.net
Wed Apr 11 04:02:51 CDT 2001

jbor wrote:

> I'm just not so sure that V is totally passive in respect of the events she is
> involved in, though she certainly remains impassive at all times.

(61.10-12)
'V. ambiguously a beast of venery, chased like the hart, hind or hare, chased like
an obsolete, or bizarre, or forbidden form of sexual delight.'

Seems like Vera Meroving to me.

> But what is also interesting is the characterisation of Weissmann in this text.
> He is not much like the character in _GR_ at all I think (though, Michel might
> disagree with this.) Remember that it's _V._, written in '63, and it's Weissmann
> depicted in 1922. There is nothing in this novel to indicate what happened with
> Weissmann after the Siege Party, although there are hints enough of what he will
> eventually become.

Indeed, I do not agree with rj on this one.  Being aware of the problems arising
when trying to establish a connection between V.'s Weissmann and Gravity's
Rainbow's Weissmann/Blicero, one may go on talking about this --I admit,
puzzling-- Weissmann figure.  Remains the fact, that everywhere he figures,
there's pain; which is why I don't like the character, be it in V. or in Gravity's
Rainbow.  In the passages we meet him in V., one could concentrate on Mondaugen
seeing everything through a mirror.  On the other hand, there's no mention of a
mirror  -or another filtre through which Mondaugen perceives-- when Mondaugen and
Vera meet, and Meroving is being 'pulled by the hand' by Weissmann (237.19).

Since I realize that Mondaugen's story is being stencilized --maybe even
'eigenvalorized'-- one may dismiss the whole of Mondaugen's story as not too
realistic.  I prefer not to.  I think that, by being stencilized, the story
becomes a parable.  But that's to be discussed, I hope, when we finished
Mondaugen's story.

Kind regards,

Michel.