globalization & Pynchon?

calbert at tiac.net calbert at tiac.net
Fri Apr 27 09:01:11 CDT 2001

> Jane Sweet:
> Unemployment in the USA is low.

Can't argue with the facts....

> That depends on which segment of the workforce you look at, doesn't
> it? Unemployment remains relatively high among certain minority and
> ethnic groups, in specific geographical regions.

I believe that even minorities are seeing RECORD employment
rates......regionally, there will always be differing levels of economic
activity - but this last surge has been pretty widely spread....New
England is humming along at low single digits, Maine may be
lagging, but it does so for a lot of reasons unrealted to any failure of
our economic system....I'm looking to move west, check out real
estate and growth rates for cities like Boise, S. Lake, Denver,
Phoenix.....these places are steaming hot....

  Employment in the
> dot.com sector where I have considerable experience is a bit
> problematic these days, too.

But that is a secular phenomenon...there was a boom, and now
there is an "adjustment".....

 Averages or medians don't tell the whole
> story.

Very true, and unemployment rates are notoriously unreliable
(fundamental problem is that it exludes a category - the discouraged
job seeker)...but if you look at the direction of wages (still enjoying
"upward pressure") you get a more accurate picture of a labor
market.....

love,
cfa