V.V. (17) current chapter

jbor jbor at bigpond.com
Wed Jun 6 17:50:58 CDT 2001


----------
>From: Doug Millison <DMillison at ftmg.net>
>

> You've discussed this with Mr. Pynchon recently?

No, but I've read his fiction:

     ... these were the secret rhymes of the Discipline of Control, secret
    and terrible as the scarlet histories say ...  (GR 238)

      Blicero: "In Africa, Asia, Amerindia, Oceania, Europe came and
    established its order of Analysis and Death. ... " (GR 7220

And his non-fiction, such as the letter to Thomas Hirsch where he contrasts
non-Western cosmologies with Christianity:

    ... it was part of a universal
    scheme, and so it's doubtful if they'd have hangups sacrificing
    themselves either, given a unified concept of creation, which shows up
    in religions all around the world, Christianity being a glaring
    exception. And German Christianity being perhaps the most perfect
    expression of the whole Western/analytic/"linear"/alienated schtick ...

> I didn't realize he was
> following our discussion here on Pynchon-L.

The pynchon-list? But I thought this was the millison-list. Damn!

>> jbor
>> This is the "Control and Analysis" approach Pynchon derides:

best



More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list