Blicero

Jeremy Osner jeremy at xyris.com
Fri Mar 2 20:38:10 CST 2001

Agreed -- I have never seen Blicero as an unequivocally "evil"
character, well, not since early in my first read anyways. Now Marvy, I
tend to think his function is comic relief, but yeah, he's not at all
likeable or sympathetic. I think the only two non-sympathetic characters
in the book (that I can think of) are Marvy and Bloat -- Bloat is IMO
way more *evil*, Marvy is just corrupt good ole' boy, kind of funny in
that he always fucks up -- a bad guy but incompetent. (And in the end
impotent as well.) Blicero/Weissman is OTOH complex and deep, certainly
*evil* on a basic level; and also as you note *loved* by several
sympathetic characters, and obsessed, and...