pynchon-l-digest V2 #1706

Doug Millison millison at online-journalist.com
Wed Mar 14 14:51:52 CST 2001

See the Old Testament for the gut-wrenching story of how Israel
wavered in its devotions, cycling between periods of worshipping God
and worshipping this goddess and various Baal's.  Each time they went
astray, God let one or another of the local strongmen/kings subjugate
Israel, until they had learned their lesson and a new champion arose
(Deborah is one of the more interesting in the book of Judges where
we first read this saga of Israel's troubles after the deaths of
Moses and his successor Joshua) to lead them back to God. See Jack
Miles' book _God:  A Biography_ for a stimulating reading of the Old
Testament God as an evolving literary character, and as a deity that
evolved to incorporate aspects of  other deities that were worshipped
in that region at that time. The Old Testament would seem to make it
clear that the Israelites spent much if not most of their history
worshipping gods other than God, in waves of rebellion against God,
misery under cruel leaders, and sweet surrender to God.

"David Morris" sez

--
d  o  u  g    m  i  l  l  i  s  o  n  <http://www.online-journalist.com>