NP - A Last Road Trip Through Premodern, Postmodern Afghanistan

David Morris fqmorris at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:57:30 CDT 2001

A few exceprt from an exceptional article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/30/magazine/30AFGHAN.html?ex=1002942879&ei=1&en=b94cf9b3c9e0feaa

September 30, 2001
MAGAZINE
A Last Road Trip Through Premodern, Postmodern Afghanistan
By JOHN SIFTON

[...]
Like many countries suffering from political instability, Afghanistan is a
complicated and weird place. In some areas, there are few traces of modern
life. Goods are carried by donkey or camel, and oxen plow the ground. Old
men with long beards sit beneath trees, fingering prayer beads, their skin
brown and wrinkled. Many rural people live as their ancestors probably did
400 years ago: iron pots over the fire, clothes they made themselves and
babies delivered by candlelight.

In other parts of the country, life is more complicated. Taliban troops
speed around Kabul in their clean new Toyota pickup trucks, tricked-out,
hip-hop ghetto rigs. On the sides they have painted pseudo-American phrases:
''City Boy,'' ''Fast Crew,'' ''King of Road.'' Inside, young solemn-looking
Taliban men sit in their black holy dress, sporting Ray-Bans.

The juxtapositions can make your mind reel. Donkey carts carrying computer
equipment. Hungry children digging through garbage piles using shovels from
a Mickey and Minnie Mouse sand-castle set.

[...]
Taliban troops and police are always easy to spot. They have black flowing
robelike clothes, long hair and big silky black turbans with long tails
running almost to the ankles. (These accouterments are meant to identify
them as direct descendants of Muhammad.) They are often tall and imposing,
even impressive. ''The Taliban troops are like gangsters,'' a colleague told
me when I first arrived. ''Tough guys.'' But there is often a particular
dandyism in them; many wear black eyeliner (part of the
descendant-of-Muhammad costume), and their hair is long and curly. I once
saw one buying Prell shampoo at the bazaar. They carry themselves like
supermodels.

The reputation for religious conservatism in the Taliban obviously doesn't
come from their foppish troops. It comes instead from the leadership in the
southern city of Kandahar, who founded the Taliban in the early 1990's. They
are considered mullahs now, but 10 years ago they were essentially no more
than a collection of seminary teachers from the rural south. These
''original Taliban'' are the ones who present the decrees barring women from
work, making men wear long beards and prohibiting me from entering the
country with ''pork products or lobsters'' (as one recent decree dictated).
These are the people who proudly call themselves ''the Mosquitoes of
Islam,'' proclaiming, ''Islamic faith is a bright light: we seek to be so
close to it that we catch fire.''

[...]
In our humanitarian work, my colleagues and I interacted with neither the
black-robed troops nor the mullahs from Kandahar. We dealt mostly with the
''new Taliban'' -- the civil servants who in recent years have appeared from
between the cracks to run the country for the predominantly illiterate and
uneducated ''original Taliban.'' These people form the real bureaucracy of
Afghanistan. Though they now sport the same flowing black turbans and long
hair as the troops, many were ordinary municipal leaders a few years ago,
local politicians. For the most part, they are opportunists who saw the
direction the wind was blowing when the Taliban took power and adjusted
accordingly; they grew out their beards and put on black robes and became
Talibs.

Of course, these new leaders' commitment to the moral righteousness of the
Talib movement is questionable. Many seem fascinated by Americans and the
West, eager to learn more English, more American phrases and more about
America. (One afternoon, a Talib in Kabul kept me in his office for an hour
to go over some English grammar rules and ask about New York and the
''Hollywood movie company.'') Still, the new Taliban follow the orders of
the Taliban leadership. The decrees are enforced.

[...]
There is a propensity among some aid workers (usually younger ones) to work
endless hours during a crisis. You cannot take a break, it is argued, when
children are hungry. You cannot sleep, have a beer or lie in your bed. You
have to act. And so you work endlessly. And then, inevitably, you crack: you
go nuts, start acting righteous and weird, and your colleagues come to
despise you. Ultimately, your organization evacuates you on psychological
grounds -- a procedure churlishly referred to as a ''psycho-vac.'' You end
up back home: unemployed, asocial, crazy, useless and pathetic.

I remember a story that a friend told me about an aid worker she worked with
in Albania. During the Kosovo crisis, they were working together in a huge
new refugee settlement across the border with inadequate sanitation
facilities.

''We had to get 5,000 latrines built, like immediately. But I'll tell you,
he was gone, man -- his brain was fried by trauma. He had been at Goma'' --
in the Congo -- dead bodies and hacked-off limbs in a pile, and they had to
clean it up. I guess he was scarred. Anyway, he got like a pound of pot from
some Albanian mafia playboy in Tirana. He would drink huge amounts of that
terrible instant coffee, Nestle's -- I think they put speed in that stuff.
He was high all the time. He didn't talk to anyone. He just drank that crank
coffee and smoked pot. He worked like a madman. But we did it, man. We built
those 5,000 latrines. They psycho-vac'd him a little later though. He lost
it.''

[...]
John Sifton is a human rights attorney and humanitarian aid worker. The
views expressed here are personal reflections and do not represent the
organization for which he worked. For security reasons, it is not named
here.