Print the legend but don't mention Coppola!

Paul Mackin paul.mackin at verizon.net
Mon Oct 8 21:44:37 CDT 2001

This is a trivial question but was On the Waterfront "much more popular"
than High Noon. Might have made more money (don't know) but both  movies won
a huge nuimber of awards (academy and otherwise). Plus everyone remembers
the famous theme music from High Noon (do not forsake me o my darling). All
I remember from Waterfront was that "coulda been a contender line" which was
admittedly great coming from Brando's mouth. Not saying I liked either film
that much or any other made in the U.S. in the 50s . It's been said before
that John Wayne wouldn't have asked the townspeople for help. And everyone
knows Elia Kazan used Waterfront to try to justify his own naming of names.
I do of course agree with Paul that the settlers vs Indian theme so
recurrent in Westerns reenacted American's formation. Would wish also to add
that many other quintessential American issues were also present. Effete
Easterners vs manly Westerners. Farmers vs cattlemen. Cowmen vs sheepmen.
Law vs order. Individual vs society. Civilization vs Barbarity (not
necessarilty Indian).

I'm just babbling. Hated Westerns after the 40s.

        P.