re Amerikaka (NP?)
The Great Quail
quail at libyrinth.com
Tue Oct 23 13:19:36 CDT 2001
Doug,
What happened? And please answer me this time. After two rather
reasonable and friendly posts, suddenly you have been sliding back
into the traditional modes of Doug hysteria and offensiveness.
Anyway, I for one am going to stop writing long posts on this subject
for a while. I feel that I made all my points, and I don't think I
have anything else to say regarding the present situation. I for one
have appreciated the debate.
>Nice try, Mike Weaver, but it's either the Bush way or the highway on
>Pynchon-L these days.
Doug, this is an exaggeration on two counts. First of all, just
because some of us support military action does not mean we are in
full agreement with everything Bush does. And second, those who do
not agree with the opposing view are hardly pointing to the highway.
The only people who feel this way seem to be you and Barbara.
> Watching the US slip ever farther away from
>democratic principles and luxuriating in its own internal propaganda as the
>US consolidates its one-superpower hegemony, it becomes easier to imagine
>the sort of drift that must have taken over right-thinking and even
>intelligent people in Nazi Germany.
There you go! I admit, this was the real sentence that precipitated
my decision to halt posting for a bit on the subject. You finally
compared us to the Nazis! And well, done, too -- in the typical
subtle Doug-style chain of escalating connections. Maybe it's time
for you to move to Canada, before Bush burns down the Capitol and
establishes a full dictatorship. And then, who knows? Maybe we can
finally *really* invade Mexico, after rounding up all our Blacks and
Hispanics, of course...
>but don't relax that vigilance because you can't be too
>careful about those "swarthy Arab males" and anti-American ideas.
If you can point to one, just ONE instance where I said "swarthy Arab
males" or even IMPLIED such a racial slur, please let me know. And if
you can point to one, just ONE instance where I said *anyone* was
being Anti-American, let me know. In fact, this level of discourse
and disagreement is part and parcel of what greatness we do have.
But, no, of course you won't do so. Nor will you apologize for your
deliberate warping of other's posts and views. Because you have been
dodging almost every personal question and ignoring any critiques of
your own obnoxious methods.
Doug, Doug, Doug. One of these days I hope we meet, so I can buy you
a pint. It just seems like the nice thing to do.
--Quail
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list