MDMD Sappho's Frag

Terrance lycidas2 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 25 07:31:31 CDT 2001

Terrance wrote:

> > Strange, didn't occur to me. I had the slight suspect that it could have
> > been Dixon corrected by Mason.

OK, I give up, I'm completely confused by this fragment.

 The word "Dear" might be a clue, to me it sounds  as if the speaker is
 an adult pedantically correcting a young lady. Certainly the word
"dear"
 is not enough to support this reading.

Just above this we meet a young man home from school, his name is
DePugh, he is the son of the arms dealer Le Spark. He says, "A Vector of
Desire," and someone says, "Thankee, DePugh, the phrase exact."

The Rev.d says, to himself and to God, "God be merciful to him." This,
apparently because the young man has shown an early aptitude for
figures.

In these chapters, there is all this patriarchal oppression (of Woman
and their
sexuality, etc. ).

Sappho's fragments are all the rage these days and
 Pynchon, it seems, continues his feminist reading after VL.

Also, not  only the suppression of the texts, but also the fact that
they are
 fragmented texts is attractive to P. At least this is what we can
assume
 based on previous novels where he demonstrates a keen interest in
 fragmented texts.

 Also, the speaker is anonymous.

 I was thinking that parallax may be at play here because we don't know
 where in the world he/she is, but we know the sun is rising so her
 invocation of Sappho, while technically incorrect, does put her on the
 side of the evening and darkness, which of course has been reversed
 here by Mr. Pynchon like black and white. And it is so smart and slick
 because this is the meaning it would have had for Sappho too, evening
in
 her song is a time of  rest from the harsh labors of the day. And
surely
 a time for hard working slaves to look forward to.

 Also, in correcting and even dismissing the invocation of
 Sappho/Hesperos doesn't  this person make a connection between the West
and
 Lucifer? But that's ambiguous as well.

Don't know to make of it. Any comments on the Bull's eyes?

When girls talk
they don't talk politics
When girls talk
They talk about their kicks