NP The Economist "A puzzling War"

Paul Mackin paul.mackin at verizon.net
Sat Oct 27 14:01:39 CDT 2001

Yes, Clinton might have faced more hysteria from the far right faction, who
by the way would have roundly condemned him for doing anything along the
lines of taking out bin Laden pre-9/11 They did so condemn him in fact.

But I still don't think things would have played all that differently.

Actually you could easily argue (as some have no doubt done) that the two
parties work well together to do whatever is necessary. Nixon had enough
credibility as a hawk to make friends with China, and it was left to Clinton
to reform welfare. Some truth to this I suppose.
In America it may not matter which party controls at a particular moment, so
long as they change positions fairly frequently.

        P.