answering rj/rjackson/jbor/? re emailers Re: pynchon-l-digest V2#2207

barbara100 at jps.net barbara100 at jps.net
Wed Oct 31 00:18:05 CST 2001

You're better looking than I imagined you, Doug.  Anybody that smart I
thought was bound to be ugly. But not you. Flatten down the hair like you
did in Shanghai, shrink the glasses a size or two, carry a well-worn copy of
Gravity's Rainbow around with you,  and you'd be the guy I fantasize about
jumping on the morning train.

I don't know which is funner--stroking Doug's ego the way I do, or 'pissing
on' the pride of those who hate  him so vehemently.  No, I don't wish anyone
to feel bad, but  I have to wonder why it should make anybody feel bad that
I do.  Some of you felllas get so riled up you say crazy things--you accuse
me of *being*  him,  you harass  me and tell me I'm dumb,  or try to beat me
down into a 'good woman'ly position; sometimes you just tell me to shut up
all together.  (Talk about high morality, look what Terrance said to me when
I told him what we could do with his 'gang-bang' rhetoric if he wanted to.
And just after asking if he was a misogynist.  He couldn't have answered me
better. ) I guess I really am an attention lover.  Terrance was right about
me there.  And by all rights I should be  excited in all the fuss.  Except
this isn't really about me at all--this is all about Doug and some
*blinding* hatred of him.  I'm not put off, though.  I find it all rather
interesting, even if I'm not the center of attention.  I keep thinking how
Pynchon wove these weird personality traits into his characters. And how I
might find some of them in me.  And how some of you are such excellent
exercises for my patience. I'm seeing results of that already. The other day
I had a violent fantasy about punching Terrance in the nose--me, a woman who
doesn't even kill  spiders--wanted to punch that little fucker straight up
in the nose!  My passion really surprised me; and it embarrassed me; I took
it as a sign that I should be very mindful of the degree to which I let
people affect me.  If there's anything I want to learn in life, it's to
control myself.