Open Letter to Mr. Jules Siegel

Otto ottosell at yahoo.de
Tue Dec 17 03:38:14 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "jbor" <jbor at bigpond.com>
To: <pynchon-l at waste.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: Open Letter to Mr. Jules Siegel

> Siegel's quite good 1977 _Playboy_ article/"memoir" is on-line in the
p-list
> archives:
>
> http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=9505&msg=1496&keywords=siegal
>
> http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=9505&msg=1497&keywords=siegal
>
> I noticed that there was also some mention of the _Lineland_ book being
> available on-line as well. Is that still the case?
>
> best

1. Thanks for posting the urls, Rob. I'm going to replace the Jules-link on
my site with it.

2. No, he put if off too. It's a little zip-file (148.854, 439.297 in
rtf-format, with some nasty typos) and I can mail it to everyone who wants
it -- free of charge of course because I don't try to make a living on other
people's words.

"IF YOU ARE EXPECTING TO READ A BOOK ABOUT THOMAS PYNCHON, you are in the
wrong place. This is a book about my experiences on the Internet, much of
which takes place on an email discussion list called pynchon-l at waste.org.
(...)
Much to my dismay, it turned out that as far as the Internet is concerned, I
am a sub-set of the Thomas Pynchon industry, as a result of "Who Is Thomas
Pynchon.and Why Is He Taking OV With My Wife?" a memoir about our friendship
that I wrote for Playboy in 1977. Not only was the article on line, but also
it turned out that it had been placed there because of interest from a group
of Pynchon fans who discuss his works online. I contacted Andrew Dinn to ask
him about copyright notices and wound up in extensive correspondence with
members of PYNCHON-L at WASTE.ORG. (...)"
(Lineland)

Jules' decision is very small-minded given the fact that "Lineland" largely
consists of e-mails written by list-members. What about their copyright?

Otto