Howard Norman - Haunting of L

Richard Romeo romeocheeseburger at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 23 09:58:21 CST 2002


I read that--it's OK, but I found it almost too
straightforward--If not for the fact of Mr Pynchon's
connections to these blurbs thru Ms. jackson, I would
really scratch my head as to what he sees in them,
that really makes them stand out.

Shepard's Nosferatu is good in parts--Murnau's diary
excerpt while making the film is really tasty. Shepard
writes well, as does Norman for the most part, but I
find that what you see is what you get and don't
believe these books bare repeated readings, IMHO.
I think both are better short story writers.


--- John Bailey <johnbonbailey at hotmail.com> wrote:
> First chapter of the Haunting of L is available at:
> 
> > > 
> In other news, has anyone read the new novel by Dave
> Eggers, 
___________________________
I have to say I find Eggers'writing insufferable. I do
like what he's doing with mcsweeneys, tho--he is
claiming to publish all 2500 pgs of Vollmann's
treatise on violence in six volumes next year, which
I'll probably dip into--let's hope the library will
order it.

three new writers I've been fancying would be:  kelly
link gabe hudson and shelley link--three very
interesting short story collections. i believe all
have been published in mcsweeneys.

rich

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com



More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list