MDDM Ch. 39 Dixon eats and Mason don't

Terrance Flaherty lycidas2 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 21 16:25:37 CST 2002



jbor wrote:
> >
> > Mason's reply "I only hope you're not suggesting anyone in our immediate
> > Company,--....
> 
> I took that to mean of the *women* present at the Inn.
> 
> Cha. goes on to say "I mean, *you* haven't been" (391-2), meaning that Dixon
> hasn't been getting any either.
> 
> And then he looks at Dixon's stomach and immediately wonders whether Dixon
> has been friendly with someone in the kitchen - one of the girls there, I
> assume - which is when Jere jokes: "Either that or I'm pregnant ... "
> 
> So, it's *either* the fact that Jere has been getting "sweet treats" from
> one of the kitchen girls *or*, his joke about his rapidly-developing paunch,
> a pregnancy.
> 
> That's the way I read it anyway.
> 
> best

We come to the stage and Mason and Dixon have been arguing. 
Most everyone in the Company needs time away from the company they have
been keeping. 
The boys have been discussing Mason. Dixon says, "'Tis against Nature." 
Dixon, I think, is trying to be helpful. He's trying to help Mason and
he will help himself if he helps Mason shake off some of his blackness.
When the two of them go out together,  Mason, so Dixon often complains,
destroys their chances of a good time with his black talk. Mason says
Dixon is only looking for a partner for his debauched adventures and
skirt chasing. And, while Dixon does get out on his own, there is some
truth to what Mason says. But why must Dixon drag Mason out? 

It is against Nature for a young guy like Mason to stay wrapped up in
black. He should get out more. Get out in public. Socialize. Meet other
women. 

But when I read "against Nature" I read the homoerotic theme as well. 

Mason, knowing quite well what Dixon is saying, that is, that it is not
normal to keep up his black mood, retorts with a defensive and juvenile,
"What! to mourn my Wife?"

And Dixon replies, "not to be seeking another...?" 

So Dixon is being a good sport, he's being kind, looking out for Mason
and himself, but Mason is just **Stuck** in the black. 

Mason looks at Dixon's shins, then looks out into nothing, he says if
they were back in Glouster, Dixon's advise would be, Naturally, common
and expected. 

In fact, recall that when Mason visited his kids this was the advice he
got. Well, actually he got a little more than advice, he got guilt and
propositions. 

But now they are far from the simple country life and its social
pragmatics. 
Mason has been to London. And he's going to NYC. OH BOY! I know a place
on 19th street, The Noose, or the Ramrod might be better. Mason says,
perhaps he has been unmann'd. 

Out Out damned black spot. Out of the closet, out of the house, out of
it. 

That's how I read it. 

Oh dear what can I do, babies in black and I'm feeling blue
tell me ooooo, what can I do.



More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list