SLSL Intro: What Pynchon or his editor should have done WAS Re: SLSL Racial Differences

s~Z keithsz at concentric.net
Wed Nov 13 11:40:42 CST 2002


>>>No.  Sentences that won't yield sense are poorly written.<<<

The only way to make sense of the sentence is to re-write it. Every time I
think I've made sense of it and sit down to demonstrate such, I have to
admit I am changing the wording or bringing in assumptions that are not
stated in the sentence. My 14 year old son would love Millison's argument
that quality of writing is purely subjective. He wrote a letter to his
English teacher asserting that the rules of grammar and spelling were
creations of the devil. Pynchon's sentence isn't poorly written because of
its creative style, nor because of its meaning. It is poorly written because
it is impossible to figure out what refers to what within the internal logic
of the sentence.




More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list