SLSL Intro "Almost But Not Quite Me ..."

Otto ottosell at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 26 02:29:41 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Monroe" <davidmmonroe at yahoo.com>
To: <pynchon-l at waste.org>
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 7:32 PM
Subject: SLSL Intro "Almost But Not Quite Me ..."

> Foucault, Michel.  "What Is an Author?"
>    Language, Counter-Memory and Practice.
>    Ed. Donald F. Bouchard.  Ithaca, NY: Cornell
>    UP, 1977.  124-7.
>
> http://foucault.info/documents/foucault.authorFunction.en.html

"Speeches and books were assigned real authors, other than mythical or
important religious figures, only when the author became subject to
punishment and to the extent that his discourse was considered
transgressive. In our culture and undoubtably in others as well discourse
was not originally a thing, a product, or a possession, but an action
situated in a bipolar field of sacred and profane, lawful and unlawful,
religious and blasphemous. It was a gesture charged with risks before it
became a possession caught in a circuit of property values."
(Foucault)

Reminds me someway of Wicks' crime:

"(...) -- the Crime they styl'd 'Anonymity.' That is, I left messages posted
publicly, but did not sign them. (...) somehow, what I got into printing up,
were Accounts of certain Crimes I had observ'd, commited by the Stronger
against the Weaker (...)."
(M&D 9.27-32)

Otto

Yahoo! präsentiert als offizieller Sponsor das Fußball-Highlight des
Jahres: - http://www.FIFAworldcup.com