McHoul & Wills' chapter Re: SLSL Intro "Almost But Not Quite Me ..."

MalignD at aol.com MalignD at aol.com
Wed Nov 27 13:26:44 CST 2002


Bill Zantzinger:

<<Well, this is the standard write-off here, pretty > much everywhere these 
days, isn't it?  I don't get it, therefore it's not worth reading.  "Tried to 
read, " but ....  On the other hand, I keep throwing myself > at, say, 
Pynchon, Derrida, whoever, precisely >BECAUSE I don't necessarily "get" it, 
certainly not all of it, and I, we, probably never will, so ...>>

I didn't get from Rob's comment that he didn't "get it."  Rather that it was 
a tired rehash and unoriginal application of Derrida, Barthes, etc.  

<<I'm not disappointed. At least you didn't transfer your scorn for M&W to 
Dave Monroe. I'm sure Dave and most of us sitting in the crowd were expecting 
that late blow from Robert because he always delivers it. >>

I didn't read Rob's post as an attack on Dave Monroe personally.  There has 
been annoyance in the past over the cutting and pasting of copious amounts of 
material from elsewhere on the internet onto the P-list; no opinion offered, 
no comment, just regurgitation.  Granted that was not done by someone in the 
role of reading moderator.  

Dave Monroe's point of view--that he's just the messenger, offering food for 
thought--is certainly defensible.  However, I agree with Rob that the value 
to the list of the posted material--which is unoriginal and poorly 
argued--would have been increased with some judicious editing and some sort 
of intro or overview.  (Nor should this be read as an attack on the 
moderator.)

By the way--is your name actually William Zantzinger?  If not, I wonder why 
you e-named yourself after such a loathsome individual?  (You needn't answer; 
I wouldn't.)



More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list