Six year coma

Dave Monroe monrovius at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 15:18:06 CDT 2003

Martin Heidegger, "The Question Concerning Technology"
(1949) ...

   "We now name that challenging claim which gathers
man thither to order the self-revealing as
standing-reserve: 'ge-stell' (enframing). We dare to
use this word in a sense that has been thoroughly
unfamiliar up to now. According to ordinary usage, the
word Gestell (frame) means some kind of apparatus,
e.g., a bookrack. Gestell is also the name for a
skeleton. And the employment of the word Gestell
(enframing) that is now required of us seems equally
eerie, not to speak of the arbitrariness with which
words of a mature language are so misused.
   "Enframing means the gathering together of that
setting-upon that sets man upon man, i.e., challenges
him to bring forth, to reveal the real, in the mode of
ordering, as standing reserve. Enframing means that
way of revealing that holds sway in the essence of
modern technology and that it is itself nothing
technological...."