List Purity: "This is the PYNCHON list!"

Dave Monroe monrobotics at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 12:31:09 CST 2003

   "riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of
shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus
of recirculation back to Howth Castle and environs."
(FW, p. 3)

"riverrun"

Main Entry: riv·er
Pronunciation: 'ri-v&r
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English rivere, from Old French,
from (assumed) Vulgar Latin riparia, from Latin,
feminine of riparius riparian, from ripa bank, shore;
perhaps akin to Greek ereipein to tear down
Date: 14th century
1 a : a natural stream of water of usually
considerable volume b : WATERCOURSE
2 a : something resembling a river <a river of lava> b
plural : large or overwhelming quantities <drank
rivers of coffee>
- up the river : to or in prison <was sent up the
river>

http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

And see as well ...

http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=run

Sorry, too extensive to post every possibuilty here,
but ... but note also the final "sentence" of FW ...

"A way a lone a last a loved a long the" (p. 628)

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MoebiusStrip.html ...