VLVL2 The Return of Weed Atman

Glenn Scheper glenn_scheper at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 31 12:27:01 CST 2003


> "I'm a pilgrim...
> ... Weed Atman

You sent that enough to overlap my notice of pilgrim
viz-a-viz Vita Nuova when I surfed to spell-check it:

http://www.umilta.net/Vitanuov.html
 Brunetto Latino and Dante Alighieri. The Vita Nuova: Paradigms of
Pilgrimage

Also this nice misc Dante:
http://www.brandeis.edu/library/dante/adb1995.htm
 American Dante Bibliography for 1995

Also more re. Vita Nuova:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dante/
 Dante Alighieri


So I surfed for Pilgrim:

Learned they were separatists desiring freedom of thought against
the Anglican church, the only church authorized by a English King.

Hence, label pilgrim fits all abject persons fleeing a hedgemony.
Also, those spurning temporal pleasure awaiting eternal outcomes.

In the top rank page from a Bunyan site grab,
I see(*) a hint of possibly tantric dainties;
Also, compare these other hits to Jesus' virgins
with lamps ready; Also cf. "No other salvation":

http://bible.christiansunite.com/bun/pilgrim31.shtml
_Author's Apology for the Second Part_

: Writings : John Bunyan : Pilgrim's Progress Index : Page 3
entertain One Christian, a Pilgrim? If they say They did, an
house and home; Are turned Pilgrims; seek a world to come; T
 next who have, Of love to pilgrimage, been stout and brave 
f those (*) dainty things That pilgrimage unto the Pilgrim bring
s That pilgrimage unto the Pilgrim brings. Let them acquaint
are, As show well, they of Pilgrims lovers are. OBJECTION I.
re be That counterfeit the Pilgrim and his name, Seek, by di
of late, to counterfeit My Pilgrim, to their own my title se
me, And I will testify you pilgrims be; Yea, I will testify 
l testify that only you My Pilgrims are, and that alone will
 when I at such a door For Pilgrims ask, and they shall rage


        Note: Pilgrim's WEED appears therein:

http://bible.christiansunite.com/bun/pilgrim51.shtml
_Mr. Feeble-mind's history - Mr. Ready-to-halt - Vanity Fair_
 have neither the pilgrim's weed, nor the pilgrim's courage;

http://bible.christiansunite.com/bun/holywar11.shtml
_Part 9 of The Holy War, by John Bunyan_
 wall, all clad in mourning weeds, if, perhaps, the Prince w
prisoners of their mourning weeds, and gave them beauty for 

http://bible.christiansunite.com/bun/holywar19.shtml
_Part 17 of The Holy War, by John Bunyan_
ut nettles, briars, thorns, weeds, and stinking things seeme

So if Takeshi is the Christic type and KA the salvation,
Weed has only a first metanoia, is trapped in katabasis.

Yours truly,
Glenn Scheper
http://home.earthlink.net/~glenn_scheper/
glenn_scheper + at + earthlink.net
Copyleft(!) Forward freely.




More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list