Pynchon mention

Otto ottosell at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 5 09:00:10 CST 2003

I agree that to me Gibson's novels (except "Neuromancer" maybe) always
seemed to be relatively weak, even as sf-novels, but when I read stories
like "Johnny Mnemonic" and "Burning Chrome" I have to admit that this guy
has written better short stories than our man.

Cyberfiction has to be defined first, but I don't think that Joyce,
Burroughs and Pynchon belong to the same literary category as Gibson. I've
never seen "Gravity's Rainbow" as Science Fiction, or only in a way I
understand that term literally as "scientific fiction", not as a
genre-definition.

This source defines cyberfiction as: "Science fiction embodying the
technological ideas of cyberpunk, without necessarily embodying cyberpunk's
amoralism or nihilism."
http://www.homoexcelsior.com/omega.db/datum/fiction/cyberfiction/53

What I do believe is that Pynchon's and Burroughs' novels (and of course
Philip K. Dick's novels, not to forget John Brunner's "The Sheep Look Up"
too) have influenced the cyberpunk-authors.

Otto