Afghan Rebel Calls for Suicide Attacks on US (unapologetic copy & paste)

JBFRAME at aol.com JBFRAME at aol.com
Sun Feb 23 14:33:30 CST 2003

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (Feb. 23) - Afghan rebel commander Gulbuddin Hekmatyar
said he is proud the United States has branded him a terrorist and echoed
Osama bin Laden's call for suicide attacks against Americans, according to a
statement obtained Sunday by The Associated Press.

Calling the United States the ``big Satan of the world,'' Hekmatyar, a former
Afghan prime minister, also vowed jihad against U.S. troops in Afghanistan.
American forces are combing parts of eastern Afghanistan for Hekmatyar, his
loyalists and Taliban and al-Qaida fugitives.

``I am thankful to Almighty God that the United States of America thinks I am
a terrorist. It is a matter of pride for me that such a strong country wants
to punish me for the sake of my holy religion, Islam,'' the statement
attributed to Hekmatyar said.

``I ask the Muslims of the world to wage a guerrilla war by using suicide
attacks,'' the statement said. ``Now is not the time for large-scale group
assaults, but rather for individual attacks.''

The Pashtu-language statement was provided to the AP by a security officer in
Hekmatyar's Hezb-e-Islami group at an Afghan refugee camp in northwest
Pakistan. Hekmatyar's signature was confirmed by a former member of his group.

The statement urged Iraq to respond with suicide bombings if the United
States attacks.

``I say to Iraqi people do not be afraid. I know war is being imposed upon
you. You should ready yourself to carry out suicide attacks,'' the statement
said. ``History shall prove that if the Iraqi people remain united they shall
find honor in conquering the USA.''

The former Hezb-e-Islami member, speaking on condition of anonymity because
he feared for his life, said Hekmatyar was seen in Afghanistan's eastern
Kapisa province two weeks ago and has been shuttling between Kapisa and the
nearby regions of Nangarhar, Laghman and Kunar.

U.S. special forces are stationed in Kunar, where Hekmatyar is believed to
have a significant force. A Western diplomat in the Afghan capital, Kabul,
said Kunar was of particular concern because of its proximity to neighboring
Pakistan and high peaks where fighters can hide.

U.S. troops there have come under regular attack, often the target of
ambushes.

In the statement, Hekmatyar denies being affiliated with the Taliban and with
al-Qaida in Afghanistan. U.S. and other Western intelligence officials,
several Taliban and even members of Hekmatyar's own group have said he has
ties to bin Laden's terrorist network.

Hekmatyar's men are believed to have hidden several al-Qaida fugitives in
Pakistan, including Jamal Hasan, also known as Abu Aade, a Palestinian with
both Jordanian and American citizenship.

During the 1980s Afghan war against the Soviet Union, Hekmatyar received
Western aid that was funneled through Pakistan's intelligence agency to the
Islamic insurgents.

``Hekmatyar has many sympathizers inside political parties in Pakistan,
inside the intelligence. Hekmatyar is not an enemy of Pakistan,'' said Hamid
Gul, former head of Pakistan's intelligence agency, InterServices
Intelligence. Pakistani intelligence supported the Taliban when they ruled
Afghanistan in the 1990s, and many of its officials remain sympathetic.

``You can't ask people to be enemies of men they called friends just the day
before. They don't see that they have done anything wrong,'' Gul said.

Hekmatyar is closely aligned to Pakistan's oldest and best-organized Islamic
party, Jamaat-e-Islami which is a leading member of the 6-party Islamic
coalition that rules the North West Frontier Province along the Afghan border.

02/23/03 13:18 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.