Re; Dove feathers in the President's mouth etc

Malignd malignd at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 07:57:36 CST 2003

<<I think what I was getting at was precisely Bush's
image as a cowboy with no class as seen by the Eastern
establishment. As a colonial (we're no longer
even the 51st state) I have an outsider's perception
of the north-south divide in the US. Bush reminds me a
little of the kind of guy Johnny Dowd sings about,
working-class no-hopers for whom casual violence is
the norm. You can keep your handgun, but check the
American Dream at the door. There has to be a reason
why Bush kept the image consultants at bay, or hired a
different set of image consultants altogether. Fom the
60s on, the Hollywood Western became more critical of
'the past'; it was part of Reagan's job to restore the
traditional image sullied by Pat Garrett And Billy The
Kid or Heavan's Gate, or the liberal culture such
films represented; and Bush has simply carried on the
same job. On one level he must be reassuring because
he manages to suggest, somehow, that the 60s and 70s
didn't happen.>>

Please.  This is crude hogwash, akin to my assuming
that Brits are either soccer yobs or tea-sipping
fairies, with no gradations between.