NPPF: Who's watching Gradus
Glenn Scheper
glenn_scheper at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 17 18:35:13 CDT 2003
> In the foreword and commentary, which were both written
> after Shade's death, we see Kinbote first concealing and
> then revealing his identify as the King, and apparently
> trying--not very successfully--to disguise some other
> aspect of his personality in Gradus.
The split of a personality into its good and evil parts
happened to me on my acute psychosis. That very day, I
knew I was Jesus Christ, despite having been an atheist
(of convenience, regarding all religion as unscientific).
Thereafter alternated mania for being JC and depression
for having become unique irremediable sin, beyond grace.
Often, if I got high, other dopers would seem to mutter
"shotgun" (which may be some residual speech-like effect
written upon them from that manner of smoking marijuana)
which I took to mean they knew that I had blown myself.
So, as with all AF reflexive hermeneutics, the shooter
is the shot one, both slayer and sacrifice meeting as
at the infinitely permeable boundary of a klein bottle.
Borrowing from, and following the links of the recent
post "Re: VLVL2 (1) Missed Communications: Beginnings":
> The limiting case ... within the field of religious studies is most
> certainly the theoretical position adumbrated by Adolf Jensen and
other
> members of the Frobenius School (e.g., W.F. Otto). Jensen claims that
> all truth, meaning, an value are to be located in what he terms a
primal
> moment of ontic "seizure" (Ergriffenheit), a "revelation," a 'direct
> cognition of the essence of living reality." (72)
> Extraordinary privilege and priority is given to naked experience.
Hey, and there's none of those difficult MLA citations required!
Of course the kind I think is required is AF + psychosis.
BTW, AF did not stop me from being homophobic, as raised.
Now, Remember the schizophrenic text of Kenosha Kid?
In Websters NW CD, adjacent to Kenosha is kenosis:
Kenosha [ prob. ult. < Ojibwa ginoozhe, nothern pike ]
city in SE Wis., on Lake Michicgan pop 80,000.
kenosis n. [ Gr. kenosis, an emptying < kenos, empty}
Christian theol. the voluntary self-abasement of the
second person of the Trinity in becoming human - kenotic adj.
Yours truly,
Glenn Scheper
http://home.earthlink.net/~glenn_scheper/
glenn_scheper + at + earthlink.net
Copyleft(!) Forward freely.
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list