unreliable

Toby G Levy tobylevy at juno.com
Wed Jun 18 15:06:22 CDT 2003

I always thought that the term "unreliable narrator" applied only to
books told in the first person.

And none of the Pynchon novels are first person narratives.

And further, I always thought that even among the first person narrative,
the only time you had an "unreliable narrator" is when the narrator lies
or deliberately misleads the reader.  A classic example would be Agatha
Christies "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd." A recent example would be
Lasdun's "The Horned Man."  By the end of the novel, I was so upset with
the narrator that I was cheering on all the indignities he suffered.

Toby