pynchon agnostic? II

David Morris fqmorris at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 08:59:47 CST 2003

--- thomas kyhn rovsing hjoernet <tkrh at worldonline.dk> wrote:
> No. It's only possible to occupy these positions in language. How would you
> be a 'you' if not by being addressed 'you', that is by means of language?
> How do you change position from 'you' to 'I' if not by using language?

The only way one can seriously accept your position above is by using a very
broad definition of the term "language."  Long before children learn to speak
(and before they understand other's speach) they understand the difference
between themselves and another person or thing.  They just don't yet know the
names of these separate entities.  Concepts and perceptions preceed language.

David Morris