The Central Pro/Pre/Per Scriptivisor

Dave Monroe davidmmonroe at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 16:07:52 CST 2003

You don't see this as ... insensitive, given that past
century or two of Irish history?  Hm ...

--- vze422fs at verizon.net wrote:

> My advice is usually "You are not in Cork. There
> are 270 million of us. We are heavily armed. Adapt."

On the other hand ...

> Don't be a jerk, learn to say it their way.
> They'll treat you better. But don't try to fake it,
> they'll be insulted. Listen, learn, and adapt.

This is eminently useful advice.  Perhaps one of the
most useful things I've learned is, even "native"
speakers aren't always saying what they THINK they're
saying, what they WANT to say, and sometimes--often
...--you have to listen for an interference pattern of
sorts, to tease out the signal from the noise.  You
can, for example, perhaps discern my interest in
Pynchon in that alone.  Patience ...

> The English language is like rock'n'roll: it absorbs
> everything, incorporates it, modifies itself to the
> local idiom, and uses it to the best advantage in
> the circumstances.

Agreed, except to ask, what advantages, which
circumstances?  Think advertising, propaganda.  At any
rate, Japanese syncretism is notable as well here ...