BAR Loon's weapon of opportunity

David Morris fqmorris at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 08:54:19 CST 2003

--- John Bailey <johnbonbailey at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "A pose I found congenial in those days-fairly common, I hope, among
pre-adults-was that of somber glee at any idea of mass destruction or decline."
This statement by Pynchon is, I think, pretty honest, and a really useful key
to understanding this story. I'll hopefully post much more on this topic in the
next week, but briefly, Siegel's turning his back on the party, and knowing
what will result (death and mass destruction) is a huge contrast to Pynchon's
later work. I would even surmise that this immaturity is what caused Pynchon to
leave the story out of Slow Learner, though that's really wild conjecture on my
part. But in terms of both simple storytelling as well as the complex
philosophical contortions for which P would later become known, Siegel's
actions just don't cut the mustard.

I've never liked MMIV.  It is a ham-fisted morality tale.  All those people
slaughtered at the party are a whole-sick-crew who go what they deserved.
Prozak probably loves this story.  I think it really sucks.

David Morris