"Orwellian, dude!"

barbara100 at jps.net barbara100 at jps.net
Thu May 22 23:15:18 CDT 2003

"Specific predictions are only details, after all.
What is perhaps most important, indeed necessary, to a
working prophet, is to be able to see deeper than most
of us into the human soul.      "

So what he's ridiculing Bob and Ted for then is not delving deep enough. For
missing the "more important" "corruption of [] spirit" and "irresistible
human addiction to power" that Orwell does "get right"?  How's that for a
Pynchonian theme?

But if it were real ridicule on Bob and Ted, I don't think their dialogue
would have been preceded by the seriousness of the recent assault on civil
liberties.

"News is whatever the government says it is, surveillance of ordinary
citizens has entered the mainstream of police activity, reasonable search
and seizure is a joke. And so forth. 'Wow, the Government has turned into
Big Brother, just like Orwell predicted! Something, huh?'  'Orwellian
dude!'"

It doesn't fit there unless he thinks Bob and Ted are on to something.  Yes
they're a little shallow, perhaps just immature, but they're on the right
track at least. I'm sure Pynchon likes them. I would say he's even speaking
out to them, in their hep new lingo. But it's with affection, not ridicule.
I think of his tone here as very similar to Orwell's when Pynchon imagines
him whistling that Winston drivel and "enjoy[ing] what we now call pop
culture-- his allegiance, in music as in politics, being to the people."

Can't help but think Pynchon's allegiance is to the people too. Young
Orwellian dudes especially.

Special note to S~z: My point is that from reading the Foreword, I gather
Pynchon is trying to get new 1984 readers to draw correlations between
what's happening in the book and what's happening in their own lives and
systems of government. And being that we're here in the midst of it, reader
and writer alike--circa 2003--I think it's only natural we be drawing the
same correlations as Pynchon does.

Barbara