Orwell & the fascist Yeats

Glenn Scheper glenn_scheper at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 15:09:34 CDT 2003

> http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/o/o79e/part20.html

This is the kind of essay that gets me searching for URLs
to mail the author, and the author whom he describes, and
the one they describe, but alas, Orwell, Menon, and Yeats.

Upon the hermeneutic test (their works belie autofellatio).
Yeats is well my fellow, but not Orwell, neither Mr. Menon.

Yeat's "The Second Coming" gives exactly my interpretation
in all the standard metaphors: that the Christian metanoia
is triggered by autofellatio, that direct gnosis unleashes
existential dread, a spiritual effect unanticipated by the
masturbator (the falconer, holding his "falcon" overhead).

<<One has not, perhaps, the right to laugh at Yeats for his
mystical beliefs>>

Go ahead, laugh. We are abject, and expect your derision,
you who are merely spectators looking from the simulacrum.

<<Translated into political terms, Yeats's tendency is Fascist.
He describes the new civilisation which he hopes and
believes will arrive:
"an aristocratic civilisation in its most completed form,
every detail of life hierarchical,
every great man's door crowded at dawn by petitioners,
great wealth everywhere in a few men's hands,
all dependent upon a few,
up to the Emperor himself,
who is a God dependent on a greater God,
and everywhere,
in Court,
in the family,
an inequality made law."
The innocence of this statement is as interesting as its
snobbishness.>>

I cannot presume to interpret Yeats' congealed thoughts,
but I feel empowered as his dreadful fellow to address
some possible motivations: To not interpret as fascist,
but an elite society all peopled by alone-begotten ones.

I entertain several scenarios: Perhaps, after our mortal
decease, all such like Jesus will really be ressurrected.

But less fanciful may be that the midlife metamorphosis
is the promised resurrection, and, either the knowledge
and practice of it will become universal, or maybe such
fellows will only ever share our timeless arcane unity
in isolation, as few Daseins amidst everyday Das Mann.

In this case, one must hide the secret, not cast pearls
before swine; embellish one central metaphor that you
never reveal (Pynchon); and make profit out of prophet.

Menon refs:
Menon, V K NThe Development of W B Yeats, 1960
Bio:
http://www.bartleby.com/65/kr/KrishnaM.html

Yeats, Second Coming refs:
http://www.secretdoors.com/weavermoon/secondcoming.html
http://eliterature.com.ar/yeats_william_%20butler/
http://www.humboldt.edu/~jlw47/thesecondcoming.html
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/289.html
http://www.unlv.edu/faculty/droisen/437byeats.htm

One can rail at the spectators, but they will not be come!

Yours truly,
Glenn Scheper
http://home.earthlink.net/~glenn_scheper/
glenn_scheper + at + earthlink.net