NPPF Commentary Line 209, P. 163

Ghetta Life ghetta_outta at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 09:48:45 CDT 2003

>From: Michael Joseph <mjoseph at rci.rutgers.edu>
>
>To my knowledge, Husserl didn't consider in vitro [[I think you mean "in
>utero"]] experience and the phenomenology of the foetus, if that is what
>you mean. I imagine pre-birth time sense would be unlike anything we
>know--with the possible exception of air travel, and maybe reading John
>O'Hara. Husserl talks about the experience of time (as past, present, and
>future) as a continual stream that underlies every act of awareness
>(so-called intentional acts, e.g. remembering, imagining, etc.), which he
>calls "primal prescencing."

I couldn't find "prescence" in the dictionary.  Cound you mean "presence,"
as in a personal awareness of being in a place?

>How would a foetus--and I guess we're talking about older foetuses, the
>more mature kind (the suave foetuses in smoking jackets sipping single malt
>mother's milk)--come to primal presencing? Does a foetus possess a database
>of post-conceptual undulations within its little developing brain with
>which it can piece together the simple narrative of time? Why doesn't
>anyone remember pre-birth stuff, then?

Not remembering isn't proof that an awareness wasn't there.  Sometimes I
barely remeber last night, but I'm told I was charming nonetheless  :)
Also, I think foetus have been observed to dream.  Of what could they be
dreaming?

Ghetta