Pynchon's interviews

Malignd malignd at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 08:52:28 CDT 2004

Scoop wrote:

<<That's the url for Amazon.com's Search Inside the
Book page from _Positively 4th Street: The Lives and
Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina and
Richard Farina_ by David Hajdu, where the author
speaks of his interview (yep, that's the word Hajdu
uses, and I trust him to know what he was doing) with
Pynchon>>

and:

<<I continue to be surprised at the hoops people will
jump through and the way they will stretch the truth
and even lie, in order to preserve the myth -- which
Pynchon has rejected -- of Pynchon as a recluse who
hates reporters and "never" grants interviews.>>

Seems Hadju is a little more formal in the
acknowledgements he puts in his book than he is
elsewhere.   Here’s another quote from Hadju, whom you
trust so, about Pynchon:

"He's never talked to anyone," Hadju once explained.
"I mean he's so reclusive he makes Salinger look like
Madonna."

The article, describing Hadju’s experience goes on:

<<Hadju, however, once managed to wrangle an
“interview” [quotes the writer's] with Pynchon... by
fax machine.

How did the aptly-named Hadju manage this minor
literary miracle? Richard Fariña, the focal point of
Hadju's Positively 4th Street, had been Pynchon's
roommate in college and a close friend thereafter.
Moreover, Hadju never requested an interview "because
I knew he would say no. So, instead I did all of my
homework, spent a few months and fashioned all the
questions, everything I'd ever want to ask him and
just sent them. In the hope that he'd be so intrigued
by the questions that I might catch him at the right
moment." He did.>>

So, by Hadju’s own description, he sent him faxed
questions because he knew Pynchon wouldn’t grant him
an interview; i.e., faxed questions instead of an
interview.