NP Michael Moore

umberto rossi teacher at inwind.it
Tue Jul 13 02:55:14 CDT 2004


In data 12 Jul 2004, verso le 12:09, Dave Monroe si trovò a scrivere 
su Re: NP Michael Moore:

> Oh, jeez, you're right.  You know, I've generally
> refused to argue about the film with anyone who hasn't
> seen it.  Just as I generally try not to argue about
> politics with anyone who doesn't vote.  Reminds me of
> recurrent admonitions here to "open the book" ...
> 
> --- davemarc <davemarc at panix.com> wrote:
> > 
> > On a possibly related topic: Has Fahrenheit 911
> > already opened in Australia? As I understood the
> > distribution plan, it was supposed to play at the
> > Melbourne International Film Festival on July 15
> > and then open nationally on July 29. Is that still
> > correct?

On the whole this story is not new. We have it in Italy whenever 
they're going to show a film which might criticize or show in a 
disrespectful manner anything connected with the Catholic Curch. I 
won't say Catholic religion because I still perceive a difference 
between a religion and a church, not the building. It's the same 
difference that there may be between the art of film- (or Movie-
)making and the MGM or the 20th C. Fox. Anyway, when a film is 
scheduled to appear which is suspected to be more or less 
blasphemous, the higher ranks of the Church start ranting (in a more 
or less polite manner), and Catholic associations and organizations 
(some of which are no more and no less than Catholic lobbies, more 
interested in business than in Christ or the Virgin Mary, the Vatican-
approved versions of Masonry) start contesting the film *before 
anyone has seen it*. Call it preemptive propaganda. It's a way to 
tell those who still believe what the CC says that you should not see 
the film. And there is still quite a lot of people who still believe. 
On the other hand, many go to see the "controversial" film *just 
because* the Pope (but usually it's some cardinal) said you 
shouldn't. So being controversial may be big business.

Anyway, this kind of preemptive demolition stinks, and smells of 
disinformation and propaganda. But its final result might be that 
Moore will have a smashing success. Which is what is happening at the 
moment in the US, if I'm not wrong.

All in all, as soon as I have seen the film I'll also read whatever 
documents the Republican Pynchonites here will be so kind to send to 
the list which may give the lie to Moore's arguments. But I hope they 
will be stronger stuff than the Flint/What's-the-other-place 
business. Till then, I won't answer messages on the F. 911 story.

umberto rossi
___________________

		"A mulatto
		An albino
		A mosquito
		My libido"







More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list