Gravity's Rainbow

Otto ottosell at yahoo.de
Sat Jul 24 05:58:36 CDT 2004


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Steve Maas" <tyronemullet at hotmail.com>
To: <pynchon-l at waste.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: Gravity's Rainbow


> Otto asks a fair question:
>
> >But your "no cribbing"-remark makes me ask: what do W. & F. say about it
> >that you don't want to hear?
>
> But the answer, alas, is quite pedestrian. I'm interested in your own
> thoughts, not the regurtitation of what some authority has told you.

Through the years it becomes increasingly difficult to tell which is which.
When I'm watching the proverbial apple fall are my thoughts of gravity and
9.81 m/sec. my own or am I'm only quoting Newton? Or when I throw a snowball
and think of  the opening of "Mason & Dixon," or of London Naphta Winters
when I see a vapor trail are these my own thoughts? And what about those who
have never thrown a snowball or watched an apple fall?

> However, I would like to take this opportunity to withdraw my "that ilk"
> comment, with its possibly pejorative connotation. My only excuse, and
it's
> a bad one, is that I had had more Double Barrel Ales than can possibly
have
> been good for me.
> Steve Maas
>
> I wrote:
> >And so dear reader, what does gravity's rainbow the phrase mean to you,
> >no cribbing from Weisenberg or Fowler or any of that ilk, please.
> >Steve Maas
>

I think there's no apology necessary because provocative remarks are
sometimes fruitful for the discussion.

> From: "Otto" <ottosell at yahoo.de>
>
> Great idea to start the reading this way!
>

I still think it is. Without schedule, just let the thoughts come in.

Otto




More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list