re VLVL Pynchon's eye for detail

Otto ottosell at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 4 09:42:47 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Monroe" <monropolitan at yahoo.com>
To: "Terrance" <lycidas2 at earthlink.net>
Cc: <pynchon-l at waste.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 3:11 PM
Subject: Re: re VLVL Pynchon's eye for detail

> > again, VL doesn't set out to confirm the left's
> > views of reagan-bush or preach to the prairie, but
> > to chastise the left for their betrayals and
> > their turns.
>
> I do not disagree.  But this does imply, and quite
> correctly, I think, that he feels perhaps personally
> betrayed.  One on the Right would not feel "betrayed"
> by the Left, not in the manner I believe you might
> mean.  Vineland's critique of the Left is not
> delievered from the Right.  It's odd that readers,
> potsers, might tend to imply otherwise here, but ...

Good point. Precisely what I've been saying from the beginning of the
Vineland-reading on. The Left blew it, but Pynchon's critique is from
within, so he's taking his share. But I see no way how they could have
succeeded against those "warriors of the true faith." Does Kerry have a
chance?

"Welcome to the most important American election in living memory. A world
election, in which the world has no vote. Four more years of Bush can
confirm millions of Muslims in a self-defeating phobia against the west,
Europe in hostility to America, and the US on the path to fiscal ruin. Four
more years, and the Beijing Olympics will see ascending China dictating its
terms to a divided world." - Timothy Garton Ash: The World Election
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/comment/story/0,14259,1295509,00.html

Otto