Discussing TRP's Watts Article

Ghetta Life ghetta_outta at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 08:42:30 CDT 2004

Otto,

Of course you are free to do or not do whatever you want, but nobody has
called the article "shitty" and what MalignD and I HAVE been doing is
discussing the merits of the article.  MalignD thinks it is poor journalism,
and he has listed the reasons he thinks so.  I don't think it should be
called "journalism," because it is really an editorial, a genre meant for
expression of personal opinions.  BUT for us to weigh the value of this
opinion we have to decide whether Pynchon deserves to be believed:  What is
his REAL LIFE experience with the people of Watts?  He doesn't specifically
tell us, although he does refer to some conversations with people there.  It
would have been nice if he'd described the specifics of his journey there.

That said, I really have a hard time beliving the following "conversations"
he describes:

Like I said in my earlier post:

>I have my sincere doubts about anyone telling Pynchon such things, mainly
>because it sounds like something he’d write a story about.  It’s something
>he’d LIKE to have happen.  Does anybody really believe that there was some
>sort of unspoken, but commonly felt, coordination of action during the
>riots?  But if one were to believe this description it would lend a certain
>spirituality or inherent nobility to the rioters.  This is Pynchon’s noble
>“Street” action which he describes so often (in GR & Vineland) as a
>wonderful/horrible dance where “pure action” supercedes thought.

I think it's too coincidental that Pynchon's Jazz obsession and his "Street
Action" obsession would converge so perfectly in conversations he had in
Watts.  It just doesn't ring true to my ears or mind.

Ghetta