Tabbi: Pynchon's Psychology of Engineers

Dave Monroe monropolitan at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 10:08:31 CDT 2005

Sniff sniff sniff ... you know, I don't instigate
these little border skirmishes, esp. as I'm not even
quite sure what we're skirmishing about, not quite
what I've come to term here as a "violent agreement,"
but ...

But did I somehow imply Irving had fallen out of
repute from the start?  On teh other hand, but of
course it's all revisionism.  In a braod sense, all
history, all historiography, is.  Though perhaps
revisionism isn't quite the right word in Irving's
case.  Redemption?  Not uncommon in Hitlerology (cf.,
say, John Toland).  At any rate, on Irving,  not to
mention most everyone else, see, e.g., ...

Lukacs, John.  The Hitler of History.
   New York: Knopf, 1997.

http://www.randomhouse.com/vintage/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780375701139

Lukacs has his own idiosyncracies, of course, but he
doesn't disguise his Catholic religiosity, at any
rate.

Also ...

Lipstadt, Deborah E.  History on Trial:
   My Day in Court with David Irving.

http://www.harpercollins.com/global_scripts/product_catalog/book_xml.asp?isbn=0060593768

Have to pick that one up.  But, again, Irving was by
and large what was available at the time.  Between
Irving and Von Braun and Dornberger, there's that more
technical work, timetables and so forth ...

Tabbi should have mentioned Irving's subsequent
history, no matter how familiar one might assume his
readers'll be with Irving's case.  Maybe Pynchon's
fallen under the same spell as many Hitlerologists.
But he is writing about how we perpetuate fascisms
despite ourselves, no?  "This is America, you live in
it, you let it happen. Let it unfurl" (Lot 49, Ch. 6,
p. 150) ...

Okay, I gotta go hunt me some Volkswagens, so ...