semiotics

Sean Mannion third_eye_unmoved at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 12 12:10:04 CST 2005

"the claim of privileged knowledge of "context" or "intention" or
"meaning" is truly difficult to support, especially considering that
this would be a meaning constructed by the decoder as opposed to the
encoder. In fact, it seems certain that an encoder is ultimately
incapable of enforcing any significant control over what the decoder
does with a given sign-vehicle."

Will the concept of 'convention' figure in here at all?  Or is this another
aspect of linguistic phenomenon conveniantly overlooked for the sake of an
easy theory and a 'one-size-fits-all' method?
...As for that last sentence - I don't know anybody who takes that idea even
remotely seriously.