NP - Cloud Atlas

Ghetta Life ghetta_outta at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:29:47 CDT 2005

Cloud Atlas is not a hard read at all.

!!! SPOILER BELOW !!!

I'm currently in the 4th chapter.  The 3rd chapter, "Luisa Rey," read like a
very short (and not very good) spy-thriller.  That chapter had me starting
to lose faith with this book (but I'll keep going to the end).  Each chapter
has a thread connecting it to the one before, and that thread is the actual
TEXT of the previous chapter emerging as an artifact into the current
chapter.  That is an interesting concept and structure.  It seems that the
"bad spy-thriller" was intended to be just that, with the author not yet
identified, which is then found by the first-person "author" of the 4th
chapter.

I am beginning to agree with MalignD that the writing is sometimes too
"cute," but the interconnections of the different chapters may make the
individual ones not the real focus...

Ghetta