The Glory Days

jbor at bigpond.com jbor at bigpond.com
Wed Jun 22 16:02:23 CDT 2005

I've heard those "glory days" described by someone who was there as
being akin to "putting your hand into a nest of vipers". The job done
on Bonnie Surfus, for example, was pretty appalling. Having read the
archives up to about late-1995 or so, there was indeed a greater
proportion of content then than now (signal, as opposed to noise), and
on-topic exchanges were more frequent and more lively. Though at times
tending to the turgid, Andrew Dinn ran a pretty tight ship (and I think
it's a quote from him that the '97 Village Voice article by Thomas
Goetz was making fun of). There were a lot of quite high-profile
participants back then too, though it sometimes seemed as if they were
holding back, worried that, if they revealed them, their ideas would be
poached before they could get them into print. In other words, the more
significant and interesting participants seemed to play their cards
pretty close to their chests, though it's still a shame that virtually
none of those players stuck around into the later '90s and early '00s.
 From what I can surmise, soon after the _Lineland_ debacle and the rise
of, well, we all know who, the list was pretty much left with just the
dregs from those early days. Koopman was indeed the quintessential
"troll", and momentarily amusing, though pretty quickly he became just
an annoyance from what I could see.

best